Monday, April 16, 2012

Severely Overdid it Today

Today I was working with some young children. A 3-year-old and a 1-year-old. Their parent had worked a night shift and needed to sleep during the day, so it was necessary for me to take the kids out of the house as much as possible.

It was a beautiful sunny day today. The temperature was about 75 degrees at it's hottest. I decided to use the huge double jogging stroller and take the kids on a walk. About a 1/2 mile in, I had the bright idea to try to walk and jog a little to the school playground which I thought was about a mile away. The kids were thrilled.

About 30 minutes later, we still hadn't reached the street to turn to the school. I was really tired, but I didn't want to disappoint the kids, so we kept going. I ended up walking and jogging over 4 miles just to get to the playground. The kids played strenuously for quite a while while I followed the 1-year-old from apparatus to apparatus to make sure he didn't fall off anything. I definitely had a hard time with several of these saucer-like things that you have to balance on to get up to the slide.

Since we were close to town, I decided maybe we should walk a different way home. I thought maybe it would be easier or shorter. Well, that was another BIG mistake. I had forgotten that this particular way of going back to the house involved climbing over extremely mountainous terrain on dirt roads.

By this time, it was the afternoon and the kids had fallen asleep in the stroller. I was wearing a black shirt and jeans because I'm on doxycycline and I can't expose my skin to the sun. Thank god I had layered on sunscreen with titanium and zinc. I am lucky that I didn't get a serious sunburn. I was absolutely DYING of heat and exhaustion. Between the two kids and the stroller, I was pushing over 100 lbs uphill 90% of the time.

Today was one of the most exhausting days I have ever experienced. My heart felt like it was going to explode. I could barely breathe. I was very frustrated with the level of pain between the heat, my joints, my chest and my muscles. I was so dizzy at times that I couldn't even see straight.

We got back to their house and I was absolutely wiped out. I wish I could have just collapsed on the couch, but instead I needed to make sure they had fresh juice, lunch, and a show to watch while I cleaned up the house and did the dishes before heading home.

I am paying for this stupidity now. My knee feels like it's going to burst. I have blisters all over my feet. I need to accept the fact that I can't do things like I used to right now. Last year, walking 10 miles a day would have been no big deal. Today I walked about 8 and it felt like it nearly killed me.