Friday, April 20, 2012

Thinking about my Babesia Diagnosis

Lately I feel like I've been having a lot of symptoms of bartonella that have been surfacing. My LLMD has not really brought up bartonella much. He's been trying to focus on babesia first.

In the absence of severe night sweats, I've often wondered if I even have babesia so I decided to revisit the "Checklist book" by Schaller to see if I do have a reasonable number of symptoms from the Babesia Checklist.

This E-book with great checklists is available free online for download. I refer to it extremely often. Especially when I'm worried and want to see where a new symptom fits in. Click here to visit the website where you can download it for free.

 
Here are the symptoms that I have from the Babesia checklist: 
  • A yellow hue on hands, eyes or skin
  • Family, friends or others report you look tired or foggy
  • Slowed thinking
  • Enlarged lymph nodes
  • Trouble with concentration
  • Memory troubles (I used to have an uncanny memory)
  • An enlarged liver
  • A poor appetite
  • Shortness of breath
  • Headaches with no clear cause
  • Headaches which are hard to control and/or severe
  • Weight loss with reasonable eating and average exercise
  • Any decrease in appetite (this one alternates with extreme hunger for me)
  • Fatigue in excess of that experienced by most people in the same age range
  • Fatigue with ongoing insomnia (consider the possibility of both bartonella and babesia)
  • Night sweats (for me it's very rare and light)
  • Hot flashes in normal temperature room
  • Chills
  • Any fever in excess of 3 days
  • Spike of a fever over 100.5 after a possible tick bite (mine was 105 at onset for over a week)
  • Listlessness
  • Swelling in limbs and other parts of body
  • Lumps or other types of tissue collection with no clear cause
  • Random stabbing pains
  • A sense of imbalance
  • Bilirubin abnormality
  • An abnormally high ALT 
  • Lymphocytopenia-low lymphocytes which are a type of infection-fighting white blood cells

Wow. After writing it out, I guess my LLMD is correct in assuming that babesia is in the mix. These infections are so difficult to interpret. I feel sometimes like they are all attacking me at once.

Sometimes when I take even a low dose of antibiotic that goes after one, symptoms from the other infections quickly increase and become severe. Will I ever get any of them under control?