Sunday, May 27, 2012

Finally tried Gluten-Free Bread

I have been eating Gluten free, sugar free and 99% dairy free (kefir and occasional cheese) since November. I started this plan on my own the day after Thanksgiving. At the time, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to find a doctor who would help me with Lyme so I was preparing to do herbs and diet changes.

My main concern with changing to this diet was that I was going to lose a dangerous amount of weight. Before I got really sick last fall, I was running or hiking every single day for 5-10 miles plus the several miles I walk during the day for work. When I came down with the fever that started it all, I lost about 25 lbs for no reason. I was a normal weight to start with, and the first doctor I went to started asking me about my attitude toward food as if I just had some kind of sudden eating disorder! So I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to start changing things, but I thought I'd give it a try.

My diet before the change consisted of a lot of carbs. I loved pizza, bread, peanut butter, pasta etc. I am not a big meat eater. I hardly ever ate veggies or fruits. I did eat sweets, but not a ton of them. Now that I look at this list, I'm not sure how I was a normal weight. :)

Now that I've switched over, I eat a lot of gluten free pasta, salads, fruit, nuts, and ground turkey. Up until today I had not tried any gluten free bread. I had heard that it was really gross and because it's expensive (I paid over $5 for 4 English muffins) I thought it would be a waste of money for me.

So today after mustering the strength to trek to the grocery store (30 minute drive away).  I decided to buy English muffins made by Ener-G Foods. They come 4 in a package and they are in the aisle with the baking mixes. My package says they will last until 2013! I'm not sure how..........but I guess that's good.

As soon as I got home, I wanted to try it. I toasted it and got some organic peanut butter ready. I was absolutely shocked at the taste. After toasting it, it had such a moist and doughy texture that it kind of tasted like homemade bread when it comes out of the oven. Alright, maybe I'm just bread-deprived and my mind is playing tricks on me, but for me to like something it has to taste pretty normal. The bread was very mild tasting. I'm planning on making an egg sandwich on it tomorrow.

For now I'm back in bed. I am having a terrible bout of nausea (not from the bread) and I'm so exhausted just from leaving the house for 2 hours. I really need some relief from this. How many more days until my glutathione IV????