Friday, June 29, 2012

Here Comes the Rifampin Herx!!

After going the week without any noticeable changes, I can safely say that I feel worse yet again after doubling the Rifampin dose. I didn't think it was possible to get any worse, but I have. I had two of the best days I've had in many months earlier this week after my glutathione IV. Then I started to feel pretty bad when it wore off.

The first thing that happened was extreme weakness and I was also very agitated and worried. I kind of felt depressed, like a total failure in life which is pretty out of the ordinary for me. I also had some pretty severe worrying/anxiety which is continuing (hence being up and writing this at 12:30 a.m.).

Next came the numbness. My legs and arms have gone numb so many times yesterday and today. Sometimes I'm having painful pins and needles, other times I just can't move or my limbs feel like something's holding them down.

I'm also having a lot of pain and weakness in my arms and legs. My muscles hurt really badly. I cannot straighten my arms or put them above my head. My knee has been very painful like it's not in the right place or something.

The fatigue is back very strongly and so is the insomnia. I was so tired today that I almost fell asleep at work. I was also freezing cold and wearing a blanket outside in 90 degree weather. It felt like I hadn't eaten in days. I thought eating would help my weakness, but it didn't.

My sense of smell has gone over the top since I started Rifampin. Every little smell is super strong to me. I also feel very strange. My body doesn't feel right. It feels like what I would imagine being drugged is like.

I'm a little worried, but I trust my LLMD, and I don't think he takes any unnecessary risks. If anything, he's probably one of the most cautious of the LLMD's that I know of. I just hope my liver is holding up. I notice a slight tint of yellow to my skin (which isn't unusual since my bilirubin is ALWAYS high). Sometimes I worry that some of my "herx" symptoms may really be a liver issue acting up.