Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I feel weird today

So today I woke up and took my first dose of Rifampin. I was a little worried about it. I was told to expect a headache. My doctor wanted me to wait to take it until daytime hours in case I had an allergic reaction or something I guess.

I definitely feel strange today but I can't tell if it's a herx or just a bad day. I've been feeling pretty terrible for weeks, so it would be hard to get significantly worse from where I was. I did have some new stuff come up today though. Coincidence, or is it the rifampin starting already?

Within about an hour of taking the first pill, I started to get a really sore throat. It felt like swollen tonsils. It hurts to swallow. I didn't have to go anywhere today so at first I just tried to catch up on some work on my computer. I wasn't feeling too bad, but my muscles and joint pain were kind of increasing and I noticed my twitching was back a little stronger than normal.

Then in the afternoon I started getting really tired and weak. My muscles were not working very well. I was exhausted going up my stairs. It was as if I had climbed 100 staircases instead of 1. I fell asleep for a few hours and woke up to some returning numbness and paralysis. My legs and my right arm were very numb. I couldn't feel them and I had no control to move them for about 10 minutes. Then I got tingling and the feeling slowly returned along with some lovely throbbing in my feet and ankles.

I feel very strange in my head today. Kind of like when you have a really high fever and you are in and out of awareness. You aren't really focusing on what's going on around you. I've been having waves of that all day. Several times I have just been lying down not wanting to do anything that involves my mind. I just stare at the fan not really falling asleep but not fully awake either. It's surprisingly worse of a disconnected trance-like feeling than I was getting a few weeks ago on Mepron.

I hope this is typical of Rifampin? I looked into side effects and it's so hard for me to tell what is a side effect and what's a herx.