Friday, June 22, 2012

Only Lasted 3 Days on Rifampin

Today was day 3 of a terrible sore throat. My throat was so swollen that I could not even swallow my own saliva without extreme pain. It was really hot outside today and I was so thirsty, but drinking was too painful; forget about even attempting to eat. I ended up calling my LLMD.

I did NOT want to. I knew if he heard the words "swollen throat" that I would not be allowed to continue taking Rifampin. I tried for the entire 3 days to take benadryl, gargle with salt water, take advil, eat garlic, drink tea, drink cold things, rinse with mouthwash etc. Nothing worked. I felt like my throat was getting worse so I decided to call. Now I have to go off rifampin for the weekend. I barely made it 3 days and I wasn't even at the full dose.

I am pretty worried as I've already been on a lot of combos and I'm running out of options. I've had allergic throat symptoms before from foods and this wasn't the same. This time my throat was very painful and swollen. When I'm having an allergic response, it's usually not painful and I often have some type of rash. My allergic reactions always improve with benadryl fortunately. There was no change to this sore throat even with high doses of benadryl. It didn't progress to breathing difficulty either. I don't think this was an allergic reaction, so on Monday assuming my throat improves, I'm going to call back and see if I can try to restart it.