Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Anxiety is Scaring Me!

Yesterday as I was near the end of my first Rifampin pulse, I started to get extreme anxiety and restless legs. My body felt terrible, but my mind was racing. I felt like I needed to exhaust myself. I needed to go running. My thought process was similar to the OCD I've had in the past about other things.

I went running in the morning. It was really hot out; mid-80's in the shade. I knew I was overdoing it because my dog could not keep up with me on the run. I went 5 miles. I came home and took a shower and tried to go to sleep because I was very tired. My body was tired, but my mind and anxious-feeling legs were preventing me from falling asleep. I could not relax.

Later that day I went running again! Another 5 miles. I came home and still had tremendous restlessness and stress. It lasted from 5:00 a.m. until midnight when I finally caved in and took some benadryl hoping it would help me get to sleep. Today is the last day of my first pulse and I am afraid to take any medication. Is this the type of thing I should call my LLMD about or is it just a herx? I hate calling every second. I already called once this month when my throat was swollen (again from Rifampin).

The anxiety and exercise OCD has happened once before. It was when I was taking Biaxin. My liver enzymes were also very high the last time this happened. I think this time it was more intense. It still does not feel like healthy energy. It's over-the-top and purely stress motivated exercise.

I'm happy that I seemed to herx on Rifampin, but so far I still don't have improvement from it. I guess it's too soon to tell, but I hope that soon I will have significant improvement. When that happens, do LLMD's keep you on that combo or do they switch it up again?