Thursday, August 23, 2012

Didn't think things would get worse.........

Just when I though I was hitting the peak of the herx from Plaquenil, I got worse yet again. The other day after experiencing heart issues and tasting blood in my mouth, I woke up to a 103 degree fever and severe muscle and body aches along with painful swollen lymph nodes and some soreness and swelling in my throat. I haven't been around anyone who is sick, and this started exactly on my 3rd week of Plaquenil.

Yesterday I went to a beautiful place nearby. It's full of marble rocks and a trickling stream/waterfall that pools for perfect swimming conditions in crystal clear water. My intention was to watch from the sidelines as it was only in the 70's and I didn't feel well. As I inched down the rocks to find a good place to sit, I slipped and slid all the way into the icy water. What's worse is I didn't have the strength to pull myself back up the slanted smooth rocks (picture a long flat waterslide) so I had to swim across the pooled water and climb out on the other side.

I quickly realized that I was not very cold despite the freezing temperatures of the water. That's VERY unlike me, especially under those circumstances. I wish I had a thermometer on me at the time because my suspicion is that my fever may have been even higher than 103 at that time.

The only other time I've herxed like this with a fever and severe flu-like symptoms was while taking Mepron. It's hard for me to tell now if it's the Plaquenil hitting babesia, the cyst form of Lyme or increasing the effectiveness of my bartonella combo. Either way, it's not fun. I was struggling without the fever to function and now it's 10X harder. I'm going to stay on though. I'm stubborn and I don't like to quit easily. My LLMD doesn't know about the fever, but even before this happened he said to go ahead and stop and not try to push things. However, I am still hoping that something will improve if I can just stay on long enough. 

Today I don't feel any better even after taking advil. I hope that I don't continue to get any worse because I'm reaching the point where it's going to be very difficult for me to function in a normal capacity. Plus today is a day where I have had very bad luck in past years. So even though I'm not an extremely superstitious person, in the back of my mind I'm thinking what's going to happen this year on this day? Hopefully nothing and the fever will be eventful enough.