Monday, November 19, 2012

Aftermath of the Herx

This picture says it all. The cloud is lifting, but I'm still in a cloud.

That was a tough few weeks of herxing. It was the worst herx I've ever had. For a while I could not even type or use my hands and arms to be able to hold a fork or eat.

I didn't get a call from the office after getting my blood work done, so I am assuming at least my liver and kidneys held up through that massive herx. I'm starting to feel a few things calming down. At least I'm no longer depressed to the point that I feel like giving up on life like I was a few weeks ago.

I had a really good few hours after a vitamin IV recently. I went running a short distance. It was the first time in many months. I had to stop pretty quickly and walk because I'm still tasting blood in my mouth and it triggers a lot of lung and heart pain. At least I felt up to attempting it though. I haven't even been able to go on decent walks in a long time. The IV worked really well this time. I'm so glad because I really needed a break.

The rest of the week didn't go as well though once the IV wore off. I'm still incredibly run-down. I can't tell if it's due to the herx's aftermath, the weather, or just my normal weekly cycle of symptoms. Whatever it is, it's not fun. I needed to go and get some ingredients to make a dessert for Thanksgiving this weekend and I wasn't able to leave the house. I was extremely exhausted and for no good reason.

I'm at a point now that I don't know what to do. How long is too long to wait for some improvement on a combination? Do you wait it out long-term even though you aren't feeling significant positive changes or do you change things frequently until you do get a magic combo that moves you in the right direction?

I've tried a lot of combos but I haven't found any magic one yet. I was stagnant for most of the summer and I had significant improvement in my 2nd week of adding bactrim and biaxin. What now though? I'm slightly worse than normal. How long do I let it stay like that before trying to make a change?