Monday, February 4, 2013

I was wrong about artemisinin

In my last post I wrote about how I was starting a pulse of artemisinin (400mg 3x per day) in the middle of an existing herx. At the time I was about 5 doses in and didn't notice any type of change. Well, things definitely changed by the end of the 2nd day. Herbs usually don't affect me..........until I started this one.

I didn't think things could get worse but they did. I had severe chills, flu-like aching, head pressure, exhaustion, dizziness etc. It's still sticking around and I've been off for about 24 hours now. During the time that I was taking artemisinin, I stopped taking antioxidants. In my case that consisted of CoQ10, green tea, vitamin C, NAC, ALA and B12 shots. I've read that antioxidants interfere with artemisinin's mechanism of action. That makes sense to me because other anti-malarials (like Mepron) have warnings against using CoQ10 with them. I also tried to start the pulse several days away from my glutathione IV which is another potent antioxidant.

Having not reacted strongly to herbs in the past, the herx was pretty shocking to me. I didn't expect much to happen especially since the first several doses were uneventful. I'm off ART until the 14th and I'm not looking forward to having this level of herxing again. I've had to load up on every supplement I have along with advil just to get out of bed. The past 2 weeks have been pretty severe. I haven't had this strong of a reaction to many medications.

I was hoping that I had gotten rid of babesia with Mepron last year even though I wasn't able to take it longer than 6 weeks. However, the reaction I had from artemisinin seems to suggest otherwise.....I can't take Coartem, Mepron or Malarone. Cryptolepis and sida acuta are too expensive for me right now. I'm hopeful that artemisinin will be strong enough in combination with plaquenil and bactrim ds.