Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Restarting Herbs.........

Well a few days ago I was in a very scary state of depression which only comes from herxing for me. It was really bad and it became the main factor in my decision to back down off the herbs. I was in a state where I didn't want to try any treatment any longer. I was extremely frustrated and nearly in tears as I was telling several different people the thought that I usually keep to myself: That I don't think anything is going to improve from Lyme treatment if it hasn't by now. I still feel like that is a realistic and probable statement for my situation, but I'm normally not so emotional about it. I very rarely cry about my symptoms or Lyme. To me, when I'm thinking logically, it makes no sense to cry about things because crying never improves the situation.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I was suicidal, but I was extremely frustrated and angry and purposely exceeded my exercise capabilities (while on a heart monitor) because I really didn't care if something were to happen as a result. I don't have much to lose anymore. I've already lost my career, my athletic capability and my ability to function like a normal person. "Exceeding my exercise capabilities" at my current level of health means going for a short walk on a slight incline. Prior to Lyme I was running and hiking 10+ miles up mountainous trails daily.

Along with the depression, I was very physically sick. I was vomiting with a severe headache, rib pain, neck pain, tremor in my arms and legs, extreme fatigue, muscle weakness and exhaustion. I couldn't see a thing out of my left eye which made me very motion sick and dizzy. I was also having muscle spasms in my mouth and eye which are rare for me.

The vomiting was great........I was literally throwing up at a park with my friend's kids sitting in a sandbox a few feet away. I live in a small town, and everyone at the park knew me so it was a pretty embarrassing situation. It doesn't take long for word to spread. The entire town probably thinks I have a horrible flu strain by now. I wanted to just crawl into bed and sleep forever, but unfortunately that's not an option.

So I went off Banderol, Samento and Cumanda. My headache was killing me and I wasn't getting any relief from Advil, Tylenol, Excedrin, etc. for many days. As a last resort I tried Quina again and it stopped the headache after the first dose. That's the 2nd time that Quina has resolved a very severe unresponsive headache for me. I remained on A-BAB and did a few doses of Enula as well.

Tonight I'm changing up my plan. I decided to restart the Lyme herbs in a different way. I've only been off them for 48 hours but I feel like I need to get back on them and deal with the herxing because there is never going to be a "good" time for me to do this. The longer I wait, the worse I get (in my opinion from permanent progression). I don't like the slow ramping up method starting at 1 drop. I feel like that could increase the chances of resistance developing.

So I'm going to do Banderol (30 drops) and Samento (30 drops) two times per day. I will do this for one week and then I may add in A-BAB again. On November 1st, I will keep Samento (30) and add Mora (30) and Cumanda (30). After a week on that, I may switch the A-BAB to A-BART. This is fairly close to the suggested Cowden protocol for month 3. I will have the detox herbs to use as needed. I plan on using them this time along with the serrapeptase and magnesium.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Bad Night..........I'm Backing Down

I am not doing well. My depression and anxiety are severe and I'm having a very bad headache and fever that I can't sleep through. I'm also having a lot of unusual pain in my ribs and lower abdomen which is making me worried about my liver and kidneys. I'm backing down off my protocol tomorrow. I'm stopping Samento, Banderol and Cumanda until I get my "month 3" package which comes with the detox tinctures and then I will try to restart.

I'm going back to Quina (30x2) and staying on Enula (30x2) and A-BAB (10x2). I can't go completely off everything for any significant length of time because I'm worried about progression. So tomorrow I'm going to drink tons of water to detox and stick to the above three herbs along with B12. I'm angry that I can't manage this herx, but it's getting to me both physically and psychologically. This is the first time I've ever needed to back down from herxing. I didn't expect herbs to be this strong............my opinion about herbs is changing.

I think it's definitely herxing because it didn't start right away. It took over 2 weeks. Normally when I used to start new antibiotics, week 2 was my "good" week and herxing started in week 3. With these herbs, week 1 was considered "good" (it got me up and out of my bed-bound state) and during the beginning of week 3 (day 16), herxing escalated to the point that I had to admit for the first time I was not able to handle it physically or psychologically.That has never happened with antibiotics.

I will try everything again though when my full protocol arrives and I have detox tinctures to help out. For the rest of this week, I'm cutting way back. When the herx dies down, I will restart. I may wait until November 1st so that I can keep track more easily. The protocol I'll begin with will be Samento (30x2) and Banderol (30x2) for 18 days and then Samento (30x2), Mora (30x2), Cumanda (30x2) for the remainder of the month as the "Month 3" protocol suggests. I may add in A-BAB until I complete the first bottle and then move onto A-BART. I may also add Enula (which I found in a locally made tincture) for $10/bottle.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

October Update

I'm not going to say much in this post because I'm still not in a great place emotionally. Last week I was able to get up and attempt a few walks. I was no longer nearly bed-bound like I was a few weeks ago. I'm still very upset and depressed and I feel like any type of Lyme treatment at this point is only going to be able to get me to my "typical" level of symptoms which is not a good place to be. I don't like doing everything in my life sub-standard. Even simple things like folding clothes, buttons, holding objects, going up steps, driving, walking to the bus stop, etc. are 10x as difficult as they would be normally. I wish that I had something other than Lyme. I want to have a clear-cut diagnosis and a definitive treatment that works.

Here is my self-treating plan. I've started it all so far. My symptoms became really bad when I was off all treatment so I had to jump in and start herbs aggressively. I waited until things couldn't get any worse and that was too long. By week 5 of no treatment I was unable to get out of bed due to fever, an excruciating unrelenting headache, neck and muscle pain, dizzy spells, vomiting, numbness in all of my limbs, extreme fatigue, etc. It persisted and worsened for many days and didn't appear to be improving. It was one of the first times that I was extremely scared by my symptoms. So this is what I started:


Samento 20 drops 2x per day
A-BAB (Byron White) 10 drops 2x per day
Cumanda 15 drops 2x per day
Enula (Elecampane tincture not nutramedix brand) 15 drops 2x per day. 

In rotation (2 weeks on)

Banderol 20 drops 2x per day
Quina 20 drops 2x per day

So each day I take 5 different tinctures 2x per day. They need to be taken away from each other by 15 minutes and away from food (2 hours after and 30 minutes before eating). The A-BAB should be taken 20 minutes from other herbs. So every morning and evening there is a 3 hour and 35 minute window that I cannot eat. I have a busy schedule most days and by the time I get home I just want to eat and go to sleep; not go through an elaborate tincture routine for hours. It's very inconvenient. The herbs seem to have stopped the progression that was clearly happening by week 5 of no treatment, but that's it.

What I really want at this point is to just cover up the symptoms. I want to treat things symptomatically (with supplements or herbs not medications) and ignore Lyme for a while. I'm tired and Lyme treatment doesn't help me anyway so I don't know why I keep trying..............If it hasn't worked by now in several years of aggressively treating, it probably isn't going to.