Thursday, April 9, 2015

Acupuncture and Salt/C

Wow......something set off one of the worst herxes I've ever had in my life the other day. I had gone to my LLMD who wanted to try some acupuncture points on me. It was the first time I'd ever tried acupuncture. I wouldn't say I was ever 100% against it, I just wasn't sure if it could be beneficial for bacterial infections or heart arrhythmias.

Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess in this case), due to neuropathy, I don't feel much of anything in my hands or feet. So I didn't feel any of the needles being used. I didn't notice much during the session. A few hours later I started to feel really tired and abnormally calm, but I didn't think much of it.

The same day I had the bright idea to try salt/C. I started with about 8 grams of salt, drinking it in water and 5g of C in tablets. Since I also have dysautonomia, the salt was not extreme for me. I'm advised by a cardiologist to go as high as 10g per day. Usually I don't drink it though. I normally take salt tablets or put it on food throughout the day.

Well a few hours after these new treatments I started to feel so weak that I couldn't function. My heart went out of rhythm, I had a fever, and my entire body felt like it had been run over by a truck......severe aches, pains and chills. I slept from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. the next day without waking up even one time. The following day, even though I knew it wasn't a cold, I tried some cold remedies because I literally couldn't sit up out of bed. I resorted to alka seltzer, aspirin, oregano, zinc, and lots of water, ginseng and green tea. I remained off the salt/C for now. I'm just starting to clear the herx.

I don't know which new treatment triggered this, but I'm leaning toward the salt/C. I will be trying that again, but not until I'm strong enough and have some available time to deal with the herxing!! I don't think I've ever had such a clear and immediate reaction to anything before. I was contemplating going to the hospital because of how crappy I felt. I even called my pacemaker center to make sure nothing really bad had gone over the heart monitor! I am shocked by my reaction to one of the above two new treatments. Neither one should have caused such a severe reaction for someone who's been treating aggressively for nearly 4 years.