Thursday, July 30, 2015

Mepron: Weeks 3 and 4

In week 3 of Mepron I suddenly developed severe muscle pain like I've never had before in my life. It was affecting my sternum, pacemaker area, arms, legs, wrists, ankles, fingers, toes, etc. Every time I'd move any part of my limb my muscles would cramp up; kind of like what happens when you get a horribly painful foot cramp while swimming. I seriously thought that I must be having a problem with low potassium or dehydration but my blood work didn't reflect anything so it must have been part of a Mepron herx. I also had a fever for one day of 103.

I have not been able to run for many weeks. I'm extremely tired and weak. Fatigue definitely worsened in week 4. I don't really feel like getting out of bed; even for normal daily tasks. I would sleep around the clock if I could. My blood pressure is also giving me a hard time. It's been in the high 80's-90's in temperature for over a week now and that's hitting me pretty hard. The octreotide has been great for allowing me to eat more like a normal person, but it doesn't really keep my BP from dropping out 20-30x per day randomly (away from eating). I have been trying to cut back on midodrine but I'd be kidding myself if I said I'm doing okay with that plan. I feel like crap. I should probably go back on it. I'm just being stubborn and wanted to get off something and prove to myself that I can get off any of the medications I take if I have to. I don't like feeling dependent on medications or the doctors prescribing them. I get very stressed and anxious over that.

Yesterday for the first time in several years I had a short episode of an arrhythmia while swimming again. It terminated itself (or the pacemaker terminated it). That used to be common every time I swam so I've avoided swimming for a while. I thought that I had gotten rid of that symptom permanently with both the pacemaker and the beta blocker I'm on but apparently not. I still have my implanted monitor and a pacemaker that can record so I'm well-protected and covered to see any arrhythmia's as soon as they happen. One of my concerns in having chronic Lyme is that it seems to be really after my heart. I'm worried that now that it can no longer stop or slow my heart it will affect it in other ways.......like with lethal fast arrhythmia's or muscular damage.